The Oliphant Campers' Association held its first meeting at the Cross cottage on Cranberry Island in the summer of 1903, following the first known campers’ picnic the week earlier. It has been operating continuously since that time. It was formed to provide leadership in the following areas:
Welfare and protection of member properties
Planning, operating and evaluating annual regattas providing timely, relevant information to members
Reviewing issues which may pose a threat to members
Acquiring, maintaining and storing trophies and equipment
Supporting local dredging programs and providing leadership in this important aspect of Oliphant life including ensuring safe navigable channel passages.
Facilitating and financially supporting the upkeep of the “government” dock.
The Name Oliphant
We are named after the government appointee, Laurence Oliphant, the well know author, traveler and private secretary of Lord Elgin, as Superintendent General of Indian Affairs. It was through his efforts that in 1854 the Oliphant Treaty was negotiated and signed at Saugeen, allowing the government to survey the lands gained by the Manitowaning Treaty.
The OCA appoints an annual board from which officers and committee members are selected. Regular meetings are held four times per year and members are kept informed through a semi-annual newsletter.
Second Vice & Harbour Master
Regatta Coordinator & Harbour Master
Chair Harbour Master
Cherie Jacob and Kym Burt
Eloise Hardy, Andy Brown and Tammy Thurtell